Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Better Than Eating Out!

I tried something out of my element this week: I ordered meals from a home delivery service!   One of my favorite bloggers, Ana, used this for her adorable family, and offered a special of the first 2 meals free!  Well, who am I to say no?  Blue Apron it is!
Arrive it did!  2 meals, and 2 new experimentations for this very boring chef.  Look at all the fresh produce!  Some things (rhubarb?) I would NEVER even consider purchasing from the store (um, what does it look like?) and the spices I was happy to not have to buy a whole container.
Meals were 5 spice meatballs with jasmine rice and snow peas, and Chicken "Under a Brick" with quinoa and rhubarb compote.
We decided that our first meal would be the meatballs (partially because I don't like them myself).  And. for full disclosure, I made it way too early.  *blush* I got excited and couldn't wait.  Now, I don't know if you all know this about my sweet husband, but he will eat anything.  Anything.  He may say, "well, I don't think we need to make this again," but he is not really one to complain.  Unless I say things and he agrees with me.
Well, 5 spice is NOT something I want again, and it was not enough meatballs for us all.  They didn't even give us a full pound of meat, and they said smaller than golf ball (and yes, I golf all the time so I totally know how big that should be) size balls.  The bigger kids tried them, didn't mind it, and Tommy enjoyed it, but it was WAY. TOO. MUCH. GARLIC.  Whooo.  I was worried about the smell for days.  I thought I had reduced it, but I didn't do it right.  We wasted a lot.  I am not a fan.

So, we won't make that again. 

So, the next day, I knew we would be okay, because it was a WHOLE chicken.  They had halved it for us, and I was to make it "under a brick" but use a pot of water instead.  Well, cast iron skillets are handy for camping, and for a makeshift brick!
The sizzle on the chicken was incredible, and the smell was fantastic.  The kids and I were all excited.  I don't think I have ever made quinoa, and I just loved watching it boil in the water!  It was dancing and made me happy.
The quinoa had red onions, asparagus, almonds, and spinach.  It.was.delicious!  I loved it.  The compote (for those of you, like me, who don't know what that is, let me fill you in. I figured it out about part way that a compote is sweet.  It was rhubarb and sugar and balsamic vinegar. don't put your face too close to that pot!) was a nice compliment to the meal, but it wasn't necessary.  We definitely had enough food, and leftovers for my lunch.  I think I might be able to do this meal again!  (Honesty time: Tommy didn't like the compote, or the quinoa (WHAT?), but he ate it!  And we had to google what quinoa actually is.  Still not quite sure.

All in all, I think I paid for a couple more meals, so we will try again.  I love that it comes to me.  I don't have to decide what to cook.  I don't have to measure anything but water, and everything just comes.  Ingredients were very fresh (except the spinach, I have to say) and I was impressed.  The only downside I could see is that I can't really give them a headcount so we have enough food.  I hope we don't have trouble the next time.

No comments: